Empire Rowing Club
Not a great deal is known about the Empire Rowing Club. The club was situated on the northern side of the River Tyne under the High Level Bridge, on what is now the Wetherspoon pub car park. The boathouse was destroyed by bombing during the 1939-1945 war, but received no compensation. Tyne United Rowing Club was founded in 1946 to provide a home for the remnants of the Empire, Hawthorn, Gateshead & District and Walker & Wallsend clubs. The new Tyne United RC moved into the former Gateshead & District RC boathouse.
The Tweed Amateur Rowing Club had a promising sculler W.H. MacDonald, mentioned in that Club's archives amongst these pages who started his rowing at Tweed ARC, moved to Hull, then returned to Newcastle and joined the Empire Rowing Club. MacDonald competed in three Christmas Handicap events at Newcastle and in the 1894 race lost by 3/4 length to Wallace Ross of the All Black Brunswick Rowing Club.